Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Humility and the Guitar

I picked up the guitar a year after high school. My best friend got one and started playing, so I got a bass thinking it would be cool to play with him. I wasn't focused enough as an 18 year old to teach myself the bass so I got rid of that. But when I transferred to a new college after my first year, I signed up for a guitar class and I've been playing off and on ever since.
I'm not a great guitar player, but I can make some music sound pretty good.
The guitar is a very humbling instrument to learn and continue on with. I know I'm not great at it, but people who don't play guitar are quick to tell me I sound good. That's nice to hear, and like I said, I think there are some songs I can do well. Still, when I play with people who are skilled at the guitar I feel very inadequate. I have a lot to learn still, even having played for nearly a decade now. There are things that I learned just starting off that I'm great at playing, because I played them many times. New songs are tougher, especially if there are new chords or fingerings that I need to learn. Getting my fingers to move in different ways or to different configurations that I've never placed them in before requires a lot of practice to finally get down. It's very similar to my prayer life. I'm good at some prayers and I've got certain times down pat for prayer time. But I've got a lot of improving to do.
I'm glad I play the guitar and I'm thankful for how it humbles me every time I pick it up, just like how I'm humbled every time I pray.

When I think of God I feel very humble and lowly. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly He's calling me to. The waiting is the worst part of course, and I've gone through this before, but this time is different. For the first time I feel like I'm truly open to going anywhere God will lead me. But can I just sit back and pray for something to happen? What actions do I need to take? If I feel like I might be being pulled in one direction, how do I know that's God and not my own desires? I've still got my own desires that I'm trying to lesson, but how much of those desires are ones God has placed on my heart and in turn ones I'm being called to follow?

So many questions, but in time I know I'll get some answers.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment