Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Not Yet Broken

I read a post by Steve Gershom where he talks about wanting to be on Jesus' shoulders.  His thoughts follow along similar thoughts that I have been having recently.  Like Steve, being a Christian my whole life, I still feel like I have not yet met Jesus.  I've never had that "come to Jesus" or life changing moment.  Doing my thing my whole life and kinda just believing because it makes sense has pretty much been it.
I wonder if I am also still trapped in the dungeon of myself, like Steve also ponders.
For me, it comes down to love.  God has blessed me with the realization that my whole life I have been seeking love when I should have been giving love.  I'm still doing that to this day.  I seek the love of others, I want to be loved, who doesn't?  But where I fall is in the giving of my own love.  I'm a "nice guy", but I wouldn't call myself a loving guy, as hard as that is to admit.  I am still very selfish and proud when it comes to the majority of the aspects of my life. I have used listening as my main way to show my love.  Openly I will admit I am a great listener, but there are more ways to love than just listening to someone talk.
I desire to love as Christ loves.  I just honestly do not know how to do that right now.
Maybe, like Steve, God is still preparing me and I might not be ready for another 4 years (30 years old... can't imagine it right now).
Until then, what do I do?  I guess I do the best I can and keep trying to grow closer to God and love all those that God has blessed my life with as best I can.
Still, is it weird that I long to be broken?  I remember reading a blog about the lost sheep and why we always see a picture of Jesus carrying the lamb back to the flock.  Jesus carries the lamb because the lamb is broken and can't walk.  Like Steve, I want to be on Jesus' shoulders.

Am I on the fringe of the flock waiting for a cliff to jump off of so I can be broken and Jesus can bring me back?  Is that what it takes?  Do I have to be broken or experience a figurative "desert" to wonder through before I can love as Christ loves?
Where is my desert?  Where is my jump off point?

No comments:

Post a Comment