Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

St. Joseph, My Prayer Companion

I've never really had a Saint that I would pray to on a regular basis. A lot of people have their favorite Saints; those that they look up to and ask for their intersession. At the interview for the position of Youth Minister that I currently hold, they asked me who my favorite Saint was.  In an honest answer, I told them I did not really have one.  Teaching and assigning Saint reports for the last three years I learned a lot about the Saints, but none ever jumped out at me.
Most recently I have been, half-heatedly and very intermittently, praying for a Saint that I could have as, well, a prayer partner I guess.  A Saint to look up to, a Saint to call my friend and guide. As God tends to do, I believe I have found my friend and prayer companion.
St. Joseph, the most chase spouse of the Virgin Mary, Mother of God.
At the parish I am now at, we pray the Litany of St. Joseph every Wednesday.  I believe it was this weekly prayer that really got me seriously thinking about St. Joseph. Then, with this feeling of connection to St. Joseph on my heart, my father and I took a long road trip to Oregon to see family.  I found a Church to attend Sunday Liturgy and as my father and I sat in the Church it dawned on me that we were at St. Joseph Church. That kinda sealed it for me.
I have found prayers to St. Joseph and I do find a certain comfort in those prayers.
My concern, though I shouldn't have any concerns if I truly trust in God, is that St. Joseph is probably one of the loftiest Saints I could look to.  He trusted in God immensely.  Taking his pregnant bride without hesitation after his message in a dream from an Angel of the Lord. Even before that he is described as a just or righteous man who was going to spare Mary the cruel death of stoning, as would have been the custom of the time. He raised Jesus Christ, assuming the role of his earthly father.  Think of what he might have taught Jesus! And we can only assume that as a faithful father and husband, he died in the arms of Mary and Jesus, as I hope to do as well.

St. Joseph, pray for me and may Jesus live in my heart forever.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment