Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Introvert Youth Minister!

I hope I'm the only one, but chances are I am not the only introvert youth minister out there. I've always had the introvert personality.  Put me in a room full of people I don't know and I get nervous.  With a few people, I'm okay. It's not that I'm that shy.  Trying to spark a conversation with someone, especially with just small talk, is almost painful to me. But put me in charge of that room, up in front talking to all of them and I'm great. I find it a strange reality, but its the reality that I live in.
My concern is can I be an effective youth minister while admitting that I am an introvert?
At a gathering this weekend of youth leaders from around my diocese I didn't say much or really meet many of the youth. There was also a team of college age young adults who will be ministering in the diocese, and again, I talked to very few of them.
With my own youth at my parish, I'm alright.  When I'm up in front of all of them I'm comfortable. Still, before of after when it's small talk time... well, that isn't when I shine.
I don't know what it will take to break me out of my shell or if I even can be more extroverted.
I am not as confident of a young man as I should be, for lots of different reasons, which is a problem I have had since I was kid.
Just another one of my struggles that I will pray for guidance about.

And for those of you out there wondering about introverts, where is a pretty good diorama about how to care for them.





























Here also is a nice Top Ten list about introvert misconceptions.

Peace all

1 comment:

  1. Frustrated after a 3 day non-stop extrovert-oriented Catholic Youth Convention, I stumbled across your blog when I googled the words "Catholic introvert." I too am an introverted youth minister and can really relate to your struggle. Prayers for all introverts in ministry as we discern how God is calling us to live out our vocations.

    ReplyDelete