Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Deep Voices and Compassion

If you've never been to a mass where the number of priests outnumbers that of lay people, I highly recommend it.
My diocese is having their priest retreat week and my parish happens to be the closest to the retreat sight. So I was blessed to be at mass last night which was celebrated by our bishop, a visiting bishop and four diocesan priests who are celebrating jubilee years.  It was pretty awesome to say the least.
After mass I turned to my friend and mentioned how wonderful it was to hear the room fill up with all the deep voices throughout the mass; she couldn't agree more.
The readings for the mass were Elijah raising the boy from the dead and Jesus raising the boy from the dead. One of the easiest set of readings to see how they relate.  In Father's homily, what struck me was his mention of compassion. Before Jesus could tell the widower to stop crying, he needed to feel compassion for her, and he did.  That is something we all need, especially in whatever ministry we have and honestly whenever we interact with people. Compassion for others is the first step to helping them, in whatever way we can.  We're not going to be raising people from the dead, but remembering to be compassionate to all that we meet is vitally important in living a Christ centered life.

For a little treat, here are some amazing singing priests...

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment