Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Friday, October 18, 2013

I Can't Be Like Them

Having three different responses to my self pitying rant this morning I have felt compelled to think and pray about my current issues and thus, write some things out.
I have a lot to learn about being a good youth minister; no hiding that fact. I also need to more fully understand who I am. That is something I've been working on and feel like I am starting to grasp the person I am. Self discovery has been a lifelong challenge for me and finally grasping the concept has lifted a lot off my chest. Understanding the way I am helps me to just be me and not apologize for it.  There is always room for improvement and more understanding.
How do I become a better youth minister though? Watching and learning from my fellow youth ministers is a must, but at the end of the day, we are all very different people.  They kind of have their own "clique", for lack of better term, and I don't fit in it.  Not being an extrovert or having any special "youth minister" skills like playing an instrument or coming up with an awesome game right off the top of my head means I'm going to have to figure out new ways. Spending the last three years learning how to be a teacher was a lot of work. Now the task in front of me is learning how to be a youth minister.  Although they are similar, they are very different in a lot of ways. 
The biggest struggle I see is staying true to who I am and what my skills are.  Taking who I am and being the best youth minister I can be is a daunting task.  I can't be like my fellow youth ministers, I have to be me and all that God has made me to be.  My fear is that I'm not up it, or worse, that deep down inside I really don't want to do it.  Maybe I just want to float through this year and then be done and go on and do something else with my life.
Laziness and pride are my enemies when it comes to this year.  I have the ability to float on the little bit I know and make things work.  That would be the lazy and the prideful way.
I pray for humility and for the Holy Spirit to kick my butt into action.  

It's going to be a lot of work, but I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me, each and every day.

Thanks for the encouraging words,
Peace all

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was an introvert youth minister for two years and people really don't understand how difficult a job it is. Even my dad (with the best intentions) would tell me it was more suited for a volunteer married couple! I definitely learned about myself -the good and the bad- and in the end the most practical advice I can give is don't over think it, as I'm sure all introverts do. The games and icebreakers will come easy enough :) aaand this vid --> http://youtu.be/TMghGP-STBw

    ReplyDelete