Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Memories, Feet and a Boat

Holy Thursday mass yesterday was a remarkable celebration.  From a father altar serving with his son, to the washing of feet, it was a time when the goodness of people was beautifully evident and compassion flowed out.  It was also a day, as Father reminded us, of a dangerous memory. 
I have plenty of memories that I would like to forget, but I can't.  Being trapped in the human condition, many of my memories are no longer full or complete.  In efforts for control I change my memories, mold them to fit so they do not shed full light on my own failures or failures of others.  Recent memories, very distant ones; I do it to all of them.  I search for meaning from memories and twist them to get the meaning that I want. 

At the end of the day though, the actual events are stronger then my own memories.  This cannot and is not so on Holy Thursday.
Holy Thursday is when we remember what Christ told all of us to do... “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” (Luke 22: 19)  It is a simple and yet a very dangerous event to recollect, one that society and so many want us to forget or distort or water-down or say never actually happened.  Why? Because this memory is all about compassion and love; two things our world knows little about.  If we continue to celebrate this memory and truly live it out, we would all be able to follow Jesus' commandment to "love one another.  As I have loved you so you should also love one another." (John 13: 34).  So many of  our worlds problems would come to a screeching halt if we simply loved one another.
We need to, again as Father said "rock the secular boat!" We as Catholics need to celebrate and live out what Christ called us to.
I can't wait to start rocking the boat, because I know it will be a struggle, but in many ways it will be joyful.  Love is a struggle, but love brings the most joy.


Peace all!



No comments:

Post a Comment