Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Teaching Grace

I taught about God's grace today.  It was simple really... maybe too simple.  But how can you really say a whole lot about something like grace?
It is a gift, or sometimes help, from God, that is undeserved but needed if we humans are to overcome our tendency to sin and it is our ticket to heaven.
I could have shown movies that the students would have not listened to for the next three days, but I decided against that.  Instead I tried to tap into the culture and show some spoken work videos.  The common reaction whas "why is the white guy trying to rap?"  They didn't care what the content was, they just wanted to be entertained in a way they are used to, or maybe they just wanted to complain about something so they could hear their own voices a bit.  Whatever the reason, teaching about grace was frustrating when I saw my students not really caring at all.  They need grace, but darned if I can make them understand it or make them see why they need it without putting on a dog and pony show, or be straight up mean and demand their attention.
Anyways... another day of teaching high school sophomores.
Here's one of the videos I showed...
Pax!

2 comments:

  1. You have to lay down the law with them...make them miss deacon! (I know Ryan does)

    ReplyDelete