Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Monday, December 2, 2013

The Circle of Life

As I wind from Thanksgiving I have to stop and ponder my family interactions over the past year.
My grandfather is slowly developing dementia. He had some health scares a few years back and for the most part those have cleared up. It is his mind that is slipping and I have to admit is difficult to be a part of. I can only speculate, but if it were a quicker process maybe it would be easier. Reminding myself every time I see him that I need to be patient, and also wonder how my grandma is doing are common thoughts now. If it were quicker though, I'm sure that would only present different challenges. Fast or slow, I am grateful for the time I have with him.
There are good moments and bad moments. He tells us the same stories over and over again. Sometimes the stories change, sometimes he mixes one story with another. Those are the bad times, at least for now.
What I don't like, or at least it's something I worry about, is how some in my family treat him like a child. Yes, he might act like a kid every now and then, but its hard for me to watch others treat him like one.  I've made it a point for myself not to treat him like any less of a man.  That's the least I can do for him I figure.
It's weird actually seeing the circle of life come full tilt. I know many others out there have experienced this with their loved ones.
Personally, I don't know whether or not I need to plan for what I know, or at least can speculate, is coming in the near future.
I've been away from home and I still am at the moment, just not quite as far.
Do I take this as an opportunity to be there for my family, considering all that has happened and is currently happening, or am I using it as an excuse to not go out and, as they say, explore the world a little more?
Again, I think I know the answer, or at least what I would like to do.
Here's praying for clarity to know God's divine will for my life.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment