Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

God Won't Let Me Be Comfortable

I started an Adult Bible study a month or so ago. It's been great and something I have really looked forward to on Monday nights. Sharing and talking with adults about the faith is not something I have a lot of experience with. Nonetheless, things have gone great so far and the little group that has been there every Monday I feel very comfortable with.
I regret feeling so comfy cozy because I should have known that it would be shattered.
Last night an older gentleman joined us. I had never seen him before and from what I could tell no one else in the group knew who he was. He sat quietly until we finished up our opening prayer.
Immediately after prayer he asked if you could have a copy of it. I said sure and hit the print button... no big deal. As I tried to start discussion on what we covered last week he interrupted and wanted to know what Bible I was using. I said it was an RSV Ignatian Study Bible only to be followed by him giving a little speech about how there are different bibles out there and each one puts a different spin on things.
Okay, I could handle that, and it led to a bit of discussion. But the way this man spoke through me off guard. Despite the fact that I could not always follow what he was saying or trying to say, he spoke very loudly and quite literally stared at me while he spoke. All of this put me on edge for the rest of the night.
We got through two chapters of John's gospel and proceeded to begin discussion. Again, this gentleman spoke, bringing up points that I couldn't quite follow so all I could do was smile and nod my head as he stared at me. Thank God for the patience of the rest of the group. We continued to discuss topics that came up and things were going well. Through all this time I noticed that the gentleman kept staring at me a lot of the time... comfort is completely gone at this point, not the mention I am shaking a little bit because I am cold, coupled with the on-edge feeling that won't go away.
Finally, the evening and the gentleman start making a bit of sense. Our discussion improves, helped along a bit by our newcomer. It turns out he has not been to church in long time. From the sounds of it our new Pope is what has spurred him back. We attended mass last week and no doubt saw our adult bible study in the bulletin and here he was.
He turned out to be a nice gentleman, from what I can tell. Whether the elevator goes all the way to the top I can't quite tell. He said a few times how he wanted to write a prayer and was going to bring it to next weeks study. Whatever that is going to entail I will have to wait and see. He was also very interested in my study bible and wanted information on it.
I've never been comfortable around loose cannons. I was completely comfortable with the little group we had and that seems to be shattered for me now.
I know I'm complaining and that this is what happens to the faithful, we get tested and pulled out of our comfort zones all the time. Knowing that doesn't make it that much easier to handle though.
All I can do is pray to God for help to grow closer to him. Only then will I worry and fret less about "being comfortable".

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment