Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Full Circle Youth Ministry

The youth ministers in my diocese had a meeting today. Let me just say, I love these meetings. It is so great getting together with my co-workers to talk and share.
There were a few campus ministers there from a local college and university. Our intent was to dialogue with them about how we can better work together, youth ministers at parishes and campus ministers at schools. A lot of it just boiled down to passing on information and making sure our youth go off to college with the knowledge of who can continue to help them with their faith lives. It was a great discussion and I personally got a few ideas of how to help my youth transition to college. What blew me away was when a fellow youth minister talked about how this has to go full circle. We, as youth ministers also need the campus ministers to tell us when their graduates are joining our communities. For some reason this was not something that crossed my mind. It doesn't help me much that not many recent college grads have or will move to my current town. Yet still, this can and does happen in many communities.
It is possible to facilitate ministry coming full circle.
Imagine how amazing our parishes could be if there was a fluent and mostly smooth way for students to go full circle. Starting off at their home parishes as members of a youth group, then going off to college to become a member of an active campus ministry. Bring it all home when they graduate and go out into their new communities where they can become influential in a parish youth group. Such a circle of youth ministry would be awesome. It already happens, just look at all of us young people that are a part of ministry today. Still, it needs to improve, and I think it will.
I am optimistic for the future of youth ministry and our Church in general.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment