Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Being a Church Mouse

I never had a great word to describe myself when I am back at my home parish until last night. My father, who is very active at our parish, volunteered me to usher with him for a Christmas Eve mass. That was fine... I've basically come to expect that I will have to do something whenever I set foot in my home parish.
After arriving at church and getting my ushering duties underway I was also asked to be an Extraordinary Minister. Again, not a problem, I've worked double duty before.
With fifteen minutes to go before mass was supposed to start it was clear that we were going to have some overflow. This normally isn't a problem. We have a downstairs hall where the mass is broadcast so the overflow can still be a part of the mass. Problem was, the parish did not think this would be needed so there was no one to run the camera. Father came out and asked if anyone could run it... no response. So, yours truly got to run the camera while another usher and minister were found.
My Christmas Eve mass was spent by myself, sitting in front of screen controlling a little joystick to follow the mass so all at church could witness.
Towards the end of mass Father wanted to thank all those who helped with the mass including the church mice behind the scenes.
There you have it, I will forever remember being called a church mouse, because that is what I have been, was and will continue to be at my home parish. I work, quietly, behind the scenes and I'm happy to do so.
I hope you all had a Merry Christmas.
Peace and goodwill to all!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, thank God for small blessings. Tis better to be called a mouse, than a rat.

    ReplyDelete