Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Gift that is Faith

On Friday I was able to give my reflection on the daily readings to the student body at my school.  I try to make the most of the opportunity when it is presented to me.  On Wednesday, I spoke about abortions and the horrors of ending a human life.  I got feedback from quite a few students that at the very least, I had everyone's attention.  Friday the readings were a little tougher, but the conversion of St. Paul lent me some wonderful thoughts.  I think my reflection went well, but of course, looking back, I could have done better.
Sitting in adoration I thought about other things I could have said, put more emphasis on or just made more clear.  The idea that kept coming to mind was the idea that faith is a gift that we need to open.
Faith is like a gift that God places on our laps.
Some of choose to not open it.  These people choose to keep their hands and minds busy with other worldly things so they may not even notice the gift that is right in front of them.
Some use only one hand to open the gift, while there other had is busy do something, anything else then open the gift that is right in front of them.  They fain the idea's of what faith is by being that annoying person who does things so slowly everyone is tired of waiting for them so others move on and leave them with their indecision and stalling.
Some open the gift right away, but accept it only for the jolt of excitement they get as they start to open it.  As others around them show off other things, they start to close the gift, re-wrapping it almost, or push it off their laps completely.
Some go at the gift with both hands, really wanting to open the gift.  They eagerly pull back the wrapping until they start to see the gift, then they slow down.  They start to think of other things, old ways, new possibilities, so they may stop opening the gift all together due to their distractions but it stays there on their lap.
Some open the gift and instead of just accepting the gift, they look for the directions.  They resemble the dad who is forced to put the new toy together, and their frustration with the gift is evident to all.
Some find that as much as they open the gift, they find no end to the paper and tape and boxes.  It's like a Russian doll to them, and they keep opening hoping to find the end, the answers to everything, until they exhaust themselves and in frustration give up.

Some, immediately or after some time staring at the box, rip into like the kid with the biggest present on Christmas morning.  They see what a gift it is just to have it as a possibility in front of them and make their joy known to others in opening the gift.
It took me a while, but I hope I am the person who has dove into the gift that is faith.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment