Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Two Processions

At Palm Sunday mass today, Father said some wonderful things in his homily.
I have to admit that I was distracted at the beginning of the homily, with my own thoughts mostly.  When I starting truly paying attention towards the middle and end I did grasp what Father what trying to get across and I really liked it.
He spoke of the two processions that went on in Jerusalem during Jesus' last week before his passion and death.
On Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, the people celebrated Jesus and opened their arms to him.  They laid palm branched down and yelled "Hosanna!".
Then they turned.  The procession became an angry mob that shouted for Jesus to be crucified.
In a very similar manner people today do this all the time.
We receive Jesus joyfully and rejoice in our Lord and savior... until, as He did in Jerusalem, He shakes things up.
Jesus rocked Jerusalem and gave them a swift kick in the butt.  He does that to us all time, but most of the time we ignore it.  When we do feel it though we do what the people of Jerusalem did, we kick Him our of our lives.
It frustrates me that so many people, especially people who call themselves "Catholic" can openly speak out against teachings of the Church.  I see it as the same thing as well.  We love Jesus until who He needs us to be doesn't fit with how we want to be.  We love the Church and say we are a part of it until something truth that Church holds doesn't line up with some truth we think we know so we protest and rebel.
Jesus and His bride, the Church, know what is best for us yet we still nail them to the cross whenever we think we know best.

I pray during this Holy Week that more people can see the truth that both Jesus and his Church offer us.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment