Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Temptation

I had a tough start to my day on Thursday.  Falling into temptation is never a good thing but I made it worse by allowing it to affect the rest of my day.  I seemed down all day, which I was, and my students could tell unfortunately.  If there were some way I could always be happy and joyful around them I would do it in a heartbeat... but I haven't found that ability yet.  Having my boss come into my room after school and then hearing that I am being watched did not help matters either, as far as my day went.
Arriving back at my place with little to do, I watched a movie that, as the title would suggest, was going to be about knights and witches.

It turned out to be about knights and demons.  I believe I needed to watch this movie, because it reminded me of the how, why and by whom I was tempted that morning.
The devil and his demons are tricky and cunning... and I fell right into their trap.  I had chances to pry open their hold, but I didn't. I let it squeeze tighter and tighter until I just gave in.
Don't worry though, this isn't a completely sad story, for at the end of the day the light shined on me, if only for a little bit.
I have been trying to read my Bible every night.  After the movie, sleep was not coming easily so I opened up the letter to the Hebrews and started reading.  I can honestly say my eyes were drifting shut as I was making it through the second chapter.  As I finished something flashed in my head as I realized what I had just read.
"For because he himself has suffered and been tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted." - Hebrews 2:18
This passage gave me great hope.
I can only overcome my temptation with the help Jesus Christ... and I really need his help, as we all do.

Pax

No comments:

Post a Comment