Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flag Day

You might not read about this on many other blogs, but for those of you who don't know, today is Flag Day.  I have been a member of the Sons of the American Legion for the past few years and a member of the American Legion Honor Guard in my hometown for the last 2 years.  Today we were present at a Flag Retirement Ceremony, honoring a couple hundred flags by retiring them buy burning them.
I had a thought while standing, saluting over and over again as the flags were placed into the fire.  I remembered back when people would turn there back to the flag because they did not agree with what the government was doing.  After serving at funerals and ceremonies like this one, I understand the flag means more then the United States government.  The flag stands for all the men and women who died over the years, through all the wars and battles.  Those that made it home and those that did not.  The flag stands for the freedom we all take for granted, not just our government.  So when people turn there back to the flag they are turning there back to so many who died for them.  If you do not agree with the government, fine, that's your deal, but do not turn your back on the people and the symbol of our freedom as united states citizens.
That's my Dad in the middle holding the flag.

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment