Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Modern Suffering

I've been helping at a local parish with some youth catechesis. Unfortunately I'm to the point where I dread the every other week two hour stint I'm there. The freshman class that I'm trying to help with is tough. The main teacher is a very sweet lady who is a retired teacher. She does the very best she can and if nothing else is showing them love even when they show her very little. This class has gained a reputation of being a tough group to handle and are continuing to live up to that. They are all public school kids who have been coming to religious education their whole lives but can't really tell you much about the Catholic faith. Most don't attend mass on Sunday but there parents make sure to drop them off at R.E. twice a month on Wednesday nights. Next year when they start Confirmation prep and are required to attend mass it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the parent drop their kids off at mass on Sunday and come back to pick them up.
The lack of parental involvement in the Church is in my opinion what is causing the majority of problems with religious education. I can't blame the kids that they can't take the faith seriously when they don't see their parents taking the faith seriously.
And then there is Kyle. Kyle's parents are in the midst of a divorce. The few classes I've been to I've never heard Kyle say a word. He sits with ear buds in and talks quietly to his friend. He doesn't participate, he doesn't follow any directions and he clearly does not want to be there. Tonight he pulled out his phone and the teacher asked him to put it away. He refused and as she went take it from him he got up and stormed off while uttering a few curses. I went to check on him and ended up sitting next to him on some stairs. With horrible rap music blaring very loudly in his ears he didn't acknowledge me at all, so I just sat there. He finally got up and moved to a different spot away from me, and that was that. There are most likely I believe some other mental or psychological problems there, but maybe not.
What frustrated me the most out of the whole encounter was this...

I did not know how to show him love.

This young freshman in high school and many others like him are suffering and I have to answer on how to help them.
It's getting to be too overwhelming when I think about kids like Kyle, who through no fault of there own are suffering in a very real way.

Pray, pray and pray some more.

1 comment:

  1. I turned 70 this week. My favorite card was from my niece who lives far away. Her 11-year old daughter wrote this note in the card: "Dear Uncle Tom, ever since I first met you I have looked up at you for advice and now I know why I have been doing this for many years, because you mean everything to me and I love you. Thank you for teaching me about God."

    Obviously of the dozens of cards I received that is the most treasured. I tell you of this to illustrate that we can have an impact on children, even adults, from far away --- we might do little things, but it is God who does the big ones. I was surprised by the note; she felt the impact of my prayers, obviously not my actions.

    You are dealing with teenagers; key parts of their life have been formed, the foundations laid --- or not. You can't tear those foundations down; only they can choose to begin anew. What you CAN do is provide them the OPPORTUNITIES to begin anew, chances for them to open their eyes. Then it is up to God and His Spirit.

    My nieces and her kids SEE God in me, when they read my blog, the books I send them, or hear of things I do or things I say about the people around me. Interesting things. I don't talk much about Scripture or "Catholic things" but I do talk about things people are doing --- like the woman I know who feeds the hungry a hot dinner each and every Wednesday night, even in the zero-degree cold. And I explain how she acts in love, and the loving words she speaks to the children who come. And how I spent my birthday dinner there with her, and was humbled both at what she so lovingly does, and that I know her as a friend. And the people I speak to get it, they see God's love in action, and sometimes ask questions about why, or how. And they begin to re-build their foundations about what is important in life, and in their life.

    I've seen some remarkable changes in people, but usually not changes I deliberately initiated. I merely facilitated opening their eyes to God. I told interesting stories.

    I'm not a teacher, but I tell you that you are privileged to be one. Don't despair if you don't see the results YOU want; have some faith that God is doing as HE wants. More and more I see that my ways are not His ways, but my ways are the only ones I know. But if I try to do good, as I think He would wish me, He DOES take my good actions and intentions and uses them --- in His way. I have seen this more and more, and it is a blessing He gives me in my old age.

    Don't give up; don't despair. Ask: What would you have me do? And do your best.

    ReplyDelete