Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Why Am I Catholic?

Because it's tough, it's a constant challenge and it gives my life meaning.
Life would be boring and mundane if it weren't for my Catholic faith.
I fail constantly and struggle each and every day. In that struggle I feel alive though.
I see what kind of lives people lead who don't have the challenges of living up to something greater. When we set our own expectations and limits we can change them as we feel. Life becomes boring when I can set my own rules and go with whatever "I" think is best.
But with my Catholic faith the objectives are set in stone and on my heart. The rules don't change to my own whims. What I feel or think doesn't matter when the truth is there right inside of me.
Yes, it's a struggle, but I know in my heart the struggle is worth the outcome.

Finding the desire to pray, sit quietly and listen is tough most days though.
A few of my students compare me to Jesus. The only reason they do is because they don't know of anyone else who lives like me or acts like me. Yet I know there are much better people than myself out there.
It's a struggle to not get caught up in material things, like bikes and guns, which are my two hobbies at the moment. If I spent the time talking to God that I do thinking about bikes and guns, well, maybe I'd be able to truly say I do love God.
The more I learn and grow the more I see how I don't love God.
I'm trying, not always hard or hard enough, but I'd at least like to think that I'm trying.
I'm also trying to not compare myself to others. The less of that I do the more humbled I feel.
So I'm Catholic because it's hard. It's not easy living this life when it goes against a great deal of what society preaches and what the world expects from me.
If only I can keep reaching toward heaven and start letting go of this world a little more each day.

Peace all


No comments:

Post a Comment