Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Monday, May 29, 2017

An Interesting Year

As this year comes to an end there is a lot that could be said. My title does not really sum anything up. I've got 3 days left, and I know that tomorrow will be a very interesting day.
For myself it has been the last 8 days that have been the most interesting. For the first time, and probably the last, I gave a graduation commencement speech. The Catholic school I've been at this last year is like many others across the country. Declining enrollment coupled with a lack of true intentional identity or mission has put the school at a low point. In my speech I spoke some hard truths about the graduating class who I had taught over the last year and also some truths that the school needed to face if it is going to survive.
I received a few positive reactions and not much else. In typical Mid-west fashion those that took offense to what I said never told me directly so all of the grumblings I've had to hear second hand. One or some of my former students even took the liberty to tag my truck with a nice reminder, or confirmation, of the truths I spoke.
For the first time in my life I feel persecuted for speaking the truth. It is not a feeling that I believe should be a comfortable one. I'm more sad than anything at this point. But I said what I believe needed to be said so what comes of it will come. I've done what I could I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment