Who Am I?

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to trust in God and be the best I can be for God and others, then myself.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I Love Conversion Stories!

Like most Bible Studies, the one I lead doesn't always stay on topic. Things come up, people want to talk about this and that... it seems normal to me. Put a group of people together in one room they will undoubtedly share their own insights and experiences. That is part of why I enjoy my Monday night Bible Study so much. 
We've had a gentleman come to our Bible study a couple of times now. I do not remember what conversations led up to this but he asked if we would like to hear his wife and his conversion story.
Of course we did!
I will do my best to retell it here.
"My wife and I had been church shopping around for a while. This particular Sunday was cold and miserable so we didn't feel like traveling far. The last church in town we hadn't been to yet was St. Peters so we decided to go there. For as awful as the weather was there were quite a few people there, my wife and I thought. We found a place to sit and mass started. Well, the music was terrible, not to offend anyone who might have been there, and the homily was even worse. As the mass went on we noticed how everyone got up to receive communion. Returning home after mass my wife and I talked about our experience. We wondered why there were so many people there, on a miserable day, listening to terrible music and less than inspiring homily. It dawned on us that there people were not there for those things at all. In the end those things did not matter as much as what they were receiving there. The people were there for the Eucharist. After that realization we both decided the Catholic Church was where we needed to be."

Did I mention I love conversion stories? 
This one is so simple, but also so right to heart of the what the Catholic Church is all about. Receiving Jesus, His body and His blood is the Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist. Bad music and bad homilies don't matter. We go to mass to receive Christ because we need Him. We also need to do what He told us to do, and He told to eat His flesh and drink His blood. 

Peace all

No comments:

Post a Comment